Monday, November 25, 2013
It's made with what??
I finished the Thanksgiving grocery shopping yesterday, honestly if I don't have it in the house we obviously don't need it that badly. I remembered that I had a lot of baking to do in the coming weeks so I bought some vanilla extract. I was at Costco so the cost of real vanilla extract was much cheaper than the grocery so I went with that option. When I was putting it away at home I took the bottle of imitation vanilla extract from the cupboard and was reading the label. ..... Expecting to see ingredients such as sugar, caramel coloring, artificial flavor etc., I was surprised to see Propylene Glycol! For those unaware, this is an ingredient in anti-freeze. It is deemed safe in small quantities by the FDA but can still be harmful to small children, elderly people and people with allergies to certain foods. I will no longer buy the less expensive option of anything without first reading the label. If I can't afford the real thing we'll have to do without. You know when someone cautions you to always read the fine print? That isn't limited to contracts anymore, it includes the labels on your food.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment