Sunday, November 24, 2013

Backtracking.... a little history.

When I first started this blog 2 years ago I had a profile that explained (somewhat) my life and I just realized that when I deleted the whole think that was deleted also. I might (or might not) help readers (or myself) to know a little bit about my life.

3 Kids and a Zoo - I actually have four kids, but my oldest is married and has a beautiful family of her own....on the opposite side of the country. I'm sometimes saddened by this because I would love to spend more time getting to know my grandchildren, but I do understand that being a military family has it's price. I don't blame them for leaving and I certainly wouldn't try to make them feel guilty because they are so far away. It's not entirely their choice. It's my job to close the distance with any means I have available, ie., telephone, Skype, Facebook or a trip across the country.

I have three more kids at home, they're 16,14 and 9. We are a homeschooling family and I prefer it that way. I love my kids more than anything and I understand how quickly they grow up and move away. I want them to have a close bond to family in general and to each other, so that when they are grown they don't have to feel that they are surrounded by strangers. We don't do things the way most families around us do and sometimes the kids don't understand that not everyone has cable tv or 3 video game systems. Allowance? I allow them to live here and share our house, for that we must all work. We grow our own food and in our residential backyard we raise chickens for meat and eggs.

The Zoo is my refuge. I am not a collector of animals but have always understood them and had an easier time with animals vs. people. I have always referred to them as my social life and every one of them down to the lizards and hermit crabs are family. When there is an unwanted, stray or injured animal I'm generally the first one that neighbors call. Unfortunately due to old age I've lost a few zoo members. We are down to 1 dog, 2 cats, 2 hermit crabs, 1 tortoise, 1 RES turtle, 22 chickens, 1 rabbit, 1 iguana, 4 bearded dragons and 1 uromastyx lizard. It's been a particularly difficult summer losing a dog, rabbit, 2 bullfrogs, 2 bearded dragons and 3 pet hens. All but one from old age. 

My goal is to live in the country and continue my current living situation on a much larger scale. Current times have given it the "trendy" title of Homesteading, but this has been our way of life for years. I'm hoping that my husband won't have to work so hard in the future just to keep the roof over our heads.

No comments:

Post a Comment