"Mom we need more toys...", "I want a Buzz-saw Louie. I want ten Buzz-saw Louies. We need more toys - that's the true meaning of Christmas!" (Veggie Tales, The Toy That Saved Christmas). Is this what it sounds like in your house?
It's arrived, it's here and in full swing....the holiday season. I hope everyone has a happy and stress free Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa or what ever other holiday you celebrate. It's a time (no matter what your religious background) to slow down, reflect on your beliefs, think about how you've spent your past year and build traditions and memories with your family. It's not about the number of gifts or who got the biggest or most expensive gift. It's not about a huge meal cooked to impress all the people gathered around (some that you really wish hadn't accepted the invitation that you only sent to be polite). It should include things that make you feel good about yourself - psychologically, emotionally and spiritually. I personally don't subscribe to any specific religion or church but I have my personal beliefs. I struggle with social issues and the unequal distribution of wealth not just in my country but worldwide. I take issue with people who are quick to judge others and then hide behind a church, company or political party who has similar beliefs. If you want to judge someone stand up for yourself, claim it and be prepared to defend yourself, don't run and hide for fear of retaliation. More people should talk - get to know others and their situation before jumping to conclusions. Try to put yourself in their place- what would you do? Often times you realize that you would make similar choices. Most of all enjoy your time with family or friends. A cup of tea (or cocoa) and watching a video with those close to you is so much more rewarding than 10mins of ripping open packages and turning on a parade or football game, or heading to the kitchen to spend the day cooking too much food.
No comments:
Post a Comment